Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Way To Go, Coach!




As many of you know, Andrew has started coaching high school soccer at West Potomac, the high school where I teach. Andrew came into the team, after a coach who had been there for 2 previous seasons. Andrew has spent alot of time changing old habits and getting the team to "gel" together. Not only are these boys teenagers(which can cause enough difficulties in coaching), but the team is a very heterogeneous mixture, which can also add to the difficulties of getting a team to come together.

West Potomac is a very diverse school of many different ethnic backgrounds and cultures. There are members on the team not only from the US, but also from Africa, Mexico, and South America. There are many times where I think, Andrew feels as though his efforts are going nowhere, but I know he is much appreciated for what he is providing to these students. Not only is he instilling in these boys a love for a sport and pride for themselves and their school, but also the necessities that they will need when they leave high school. I truly believe that a coach is more than just a coach, they are mentors and role models. I believe Andrew is making his mark as a mentor and role model to these boys.

Already, I have been told by administrators and other faculty members what a great job he has been doing with the team. A few area coaches have also mentioned to him what a change they have seen in the West Potomac soccer team. I am so proud of Andrew and what he is accomplishing with theses young men, but I am also proud of the players themselves. It has not only been difficult for Andrew, but for them, too. A new coach means new standards and routine, and they are getting it together.


Just recently, Andrew received an email from a coach of our rival high school, Mount Vernon, that only confers what everyone else is saying about Andrew. I wanted to share a bit of the email sent from the coach:


Coach Peck:
...I must say our game last week was one of the most intense, pressure filled games I have seen in a long time notwithstanding the rival between our respected schools.


...At the end of our game - both squads were just beat - you can see the fatigue on the faces of the players but I am happy with the way the game ended. I must say, it has been a few years since I have the seen the boys at West Potomac play the way they did and have such a joy for the game. What you have done so far this season bringing that joy back to the game for the boys at West Potomac...speaks volumes and I wish you the very best this season...


Congrats to Andrew and the West Potomac Boys Soccer Team! Go Wolverines!
To check on how the team is doing click here.

1 comment:

J & M Nelson said...

YEAH Andrew!!! I am glad they are doing good, but we are ready to start hanging out outside all of us again. So we can tno wait for soccer to be over HAHA!! Oh yes thanks for doing my page I love it. See you this afternoon. Martina