Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Olympic Fever

... have you got it? I don't know about you, but I love the Olympics! And, if you didn't know (or pay attention to the commercials), it starts tomorrow! I have to admit, I am a bigger fan of the summer games than the winter, but they are exciting to watch, none the less. I don't know what it is about the Olympics, but they get me all revved and ready to go! It's motivating to see these athletes from all over the world compete for themselves and for their nations. I am amazed by the athleticism, dedication, and drive these athletes possess. They are the best of the best!



Here are some competitions that I am excited to watch (in no particular order):

1. Swimming : Of course I want to watch Michael Phelps go for gold and strive to make Olympic history, but I am also excited to see Dara Torres (a 41 year old mother of a 2 year old) make a comeback to the Olympics, Her first Olympic appearance was in 1984.

2. Basketball: Though I probably won't watch all the games, I am excited for this Olympic team to bring back "the dream" (notice the old picture). Bringing back a 2000 Olympic member, Jason Kidd, who also holds an undefeated record for USA basketball, plus some other well known players (Kobe, LeBron,etc.), this team should live up to their new name the "Redeem Team". Hopefully this team can bring back the pride to USA basketball.

3. Beach Volleyball: It should be exciting to watch Misty May and Kerri Walsh defend their Olympic gold from Athens 2004, where they went undefeated in all seven matches.




4. Gymnastics: I have always been amazed with gymnastics, since I was a little girl. I'm not sure what little girl isn't. Shawn Johnson is one of the girls to watch, as well as Nastia Liukin. Could these girls help their team go for the All Around Team Gold, only won in the '96 Atlanta Olympics?
5. Track & Field: This has to be one of my favorites...all of it, from the field events to the sprinting and of course the mid/distance! I've always enjoyed watching the running events, even before I started running.



Those are just a few of my favorites, what are yours?


post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we all love to watch swimming especially Michael Phelps! Since I'm turning 50 I think I might start swimming again..Go Tara - that is after my 60mile walk in Sept! love, aunt lisa

PablitoRun said...

I too am sooo excited about the olympics! I love to watch the gymnastics - except the balance beam (I am always afraid they will miss and land on their heads when they do flips on the beam!)