Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Luau

Yesterday, we went to a luau at the hotel next door (The Hale Koa). There were a few others but this one was extremely close and less expensive. I was pretty sure it was going to be a little "corny", but figured it was something we should do while in Hawaii. I mostly wanted to go to be greeted with a traditional Hawaiian lei, but we were greeted with a shell lei. Oh well...it was a great time anyways.

Thanks to my friend Cher & her mom, Landon all ready for the luau in his hawaiian shorts and sandals.

All of us before the luau
The first part of the luau is cocktails and music, then there is the retrieval of the pua (pig) from the imu (underground oven). Dinner was then served.
After dinner, we were entertained with different traditional dances of the Polynesian Islands. During one of the performances, the female dancers came into the audience to pick out 10-15 males to go on stage and dance. I, of course, got the attention of one of the girls to get Andrew to go dance on stage. He was a good sport and participated. I'm so mad at myself since accidentally deleted the picture I had of him, but I do have video footage, which I'll post when we get home. When Andrew was done he was thanked with a traditional Hawaiian lei!!!! I finally got one...I'm glad I volunteered him.
Me (wearing the lei) and Landon (wearing one of the armbands Andrew wore in the contest).
Landon wasn't too interested in looking at the camera despite my efforts (as you can see on my face).





post signature


1 comment:

KTalbert said...

Man look at that tan!!!! I'm so jealous!