Friday, August 14, 2009

Sneak Peek: Before & After

We've been working hard on the shared nursery the past two days since Andrew took off yesterday & already had today off . We thought about getting away just the three of us, but figured we would save the money & get working on the nursery. I was a bit sad to do away with Landon's "boy" bedroom. I was really happy with the way it turned out (it's actually the only finished room in the house), so it was hard to paint over.

We got started on Thursday by cleaning out the room, so I could repaint. We are going more gender neutral. Before I show you the "sneak peek", let me remind you of what it looked like. The room, as its been for the past 23 months, is a blue with a deeper blue horizontal stripe above center. Please don't mind some of the mess in the background. I had to quickly snap these before I forgot, some of my original pictures are not on this computer.

Here is his dresser with some photos. You can get a glimpse of the baby's crib bumper in the corner.

These photos hang above the dresser.
On the opposite wall is the crib. This, obviously, is it converted to a toddler bed. I am able to reuse the quilt in the room redo.
This has to be my most favorite part of his room. When Landon was born, I left the area above his crib blank until I found the perfect letters for his name. When I went to Minnesota in Dec (Landon was about 2 1/2 months old), I found these. I absolutely love them & could not stand to keep them out of the room redo. So...these are the inspiration for the "new" room.
His book shelf is on the same side of the room as the dresser. This is another one of my favorite pieces in the room. It's attractive storage for his "nice" books, plus I can display items of the top. If you were standing in the room, facing the shelf then, your back would be to the crib. if you turned to the right, you would see a changing table with red & blue baskets.
Now onto the "sneak peek". For the new room, I chose two Disney colors, New Day Dew (cream) & Dandelion for Roo (soft yellow). I wanted two colors because I was set on doing vertical stripes throughout the room. This was a bigger task than I expected, but it's what I wanted.

The first step was to paint the entire room with the cream color. This took quite a while to complete, about 3 1/2 coats. I know I could have used primer but I still would have done about the same amount of work.

The next step was to tape the stripes. I decided I wanted to the striped to be 12 in each. In order to have each 12 in, I had to tape inside the lines for the cream (which was already on the walls) & tape inside the lines for the yellow (yet to be painted). Here's what the room looked like after all the striped were taped out.


Now...for the yellow. I was really pleased with the outcome after the tape was taken down. I have to admit that I was a little nervous that I went to feminine with the new room, but it's coming together.

Another "sneak peek" of the stripes & Landon's big boy bed!

There is still more to do, so as we make progress, I'll post more.

1 comment:

J & M Nelson said...

I love the paint colors!!!