Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm Back...

...with many updates.  Sorry that it's been awhile.  This weekend was quite packed, so I have lots to blog about.  Stay with me, this could be a long one!

First of all, Landon is doing well.  Thank you to all who have continually asked about him & let us know you were thinking of him & us!  We really appreciate all the thoughts & prayers. Andrew took Landon to the plastic surgeon over a week ago, & the surgeon was upset with a few things:
1. the ER didn't use dissolvable stitches.  He thinks that small children should only have to go through stitches once (when then are put in).  We did ask about dissolvable stitches, but the doc gave us some reason, that I cannot remember.
2. the ER stitched the puncture wounds on his face.  He understood their reasoning (help with the scarring), but explained that, that's what he's her for.  He also thought that the closing of the wounds help cause the infection that came later
Ultimately, everything is healing fine & the surgeon has us on the books for another consult in 6 months to re-evaluate Landon's wounds.  He thinks that Landon may not need any surgery, which is what we are hoping!

Next, we celebrated my birthday Friday evening (May 22).  Andrew & one of my coworkers tried to plan a surprise party for me!  I say tried because I knew something was up, and was slightly expecting something.  It was still a great time with family & friends!  I didn't take any pictures, myself, but my father-in-law did.  Here are some of the pictures.  It wasn't the GRAND celebration that we had planned for, & Andrew probably won't have the grand party either on his birthday (new baby will have just arrived), so we are trying to plan a BIG celebration/vacation next summer when we both can enjoy the party!  All inclusive here we come (as long as G & G McKean are babysitting)!!!!

This weekend was also spent with my brother, Brian, & his wife, Debbie.  Debbie has been here for a few weeks now, working on a case & Brian came up to spend the weekend with her.  We met Brian & Debbie in Georgetown and walked around.  We then hopped on the metro to eat at local favorite, Ben's Chili Bowl.  


Landon & Debbie in Georgetown...
After eating, we walked to Chinatown, to Debbie's apartment.  It was quite a walk but it was a beautiful day, so we really enjoyed it.  After we recovered from our day of walking, we said goodbye!  We have been so lucky that they have been able to visit as much as they have!

Our weekend wasn't done there.  Sunday & Monday were spent spending my birthday money on redecorating the family room. We have been here for 2 years & I have been wanting to paint a redecorate. I finally took the plunge.

Here are some before pictures.  I had to search through my pictures to find some where you could get the feel of what the family room looked like.  It's quite bland & not much to it.
The wall color & the couch color left the room feeling boring and incomplete.  We've also been in need of an area rug for the family room.
These were hanging above the couch, but were too small for the wall.  They are now up in our bedroom, waiting to be hung when I redo that room.
The problem with the main floor is that the eating area & family room are right next to each other.  I have been wanting to make them look as separate rooms, but wasn't sure how to go about it.  I knew paint color would do the trick, but I seriously fear picking out paint!

We set out originally for an area rug only.  I had one in mind, it's a sisal rug with a burgundy trim around it.  We ended up buying two, one for the family room & one for under the kitchen table.  While out I was inspired by a picture I found!  From there it all fell into place, even though the room is not quite complete.

The paint color is Witch Hazel and it's grayish green.  I love it.  The only area painted this color is the family room, the eating area is the original yellow-cream color. I have another picture to put on the other side of the TV armoire.  It's an old picture of the church where we were married.  I just need a new black frame
Here is the picture that inspired it all.  This is totally out of what I would normally pick, & I feared that I wouldn't like it.  We brought it home just to see what it would look like with everything.  Once I got it home...I was extremely pleased.  
The pillows are also new & work well with the new decor.  Since the room is darker than before, I would like to put another lamp on the stand to the right of the couch.  I'm on the hunt for one.  I would also like to put roman shades on the two windows.  Aunt Linda...you want to help with that????

Since painting, I have discovered that these colors work well with all the other items in the house that I have been collecting.  Every time Andrew & I travel, I try to pick something up & store it in the house until I can use it.  Some of the items have been out, but now I can use many of the items that have been stored away.  

I am now in the process of working on the kitchen.  I picked a dark red (Roasted Pepper) for the paint.  It's making the kitchen darker, but I plan on painting the cabinets white this summer, to help lighten it up.  When I've completed the kitchen I'll post more pictures.  

Until next time...

2 comments:

J & M Nelson said...

What a fun and busy weekend! I and so happy to hear Land is doing better! Glad you had a fun party! I love the colors in the living room I love love the painting it does not look like something you would pick out but it does look great!!! Oh yes and I kinda got to see your baby belly but not much in the party pics so you should post some of your growing belly. love you

Ashley said...

What a great update! I'm glad to hear Landon is doing well. And look at your new living room!!!! I LOVE it!!! Great job!!! Your party looks like it was tons of fun!!! You are too cute!!!