Saturday, May 9, 2009

A sad good-bye

This isn't a happy post, but it's what's going on in our lives right now.  I have gone back and forth about posting, but I decided that if this is blog about our lives (with some other stuff added in), then I should include this post.

Andrew and I have found ourselves in a bad place.  Friday, I came home from work early.  It was a Friday and I had planning at the end of the day, so I decided to spend some quality time with Landon & Andrew (it was his Friday off).  We all, even Jaxson, went out in the front yard to play.  Andrew ran around with Landon & Jax while I sat on the front porch and watched.  After playing, Jaxson went to rest in the grass near Andrew.  Landon decided to go up to Jaxson to pet him and out of the blue, Jaxson went at Landon.

It was so surreal and both Andrew & I had a delayed reaction.  We couldn't believe what was happening.  I held onto Landon and Andrew took Jaxson in the house and then we were off to the ER.  Our only thoughts were on Landon, and making sure he was ok.  

Landon had two deep puncture wounds that each received 2 stitches and about 6 smaller ones, that were left alone.  He also received about 7-8 stitches for the  cut behind his ear.   I think the trauma in the ER had more of an affect on Landon than the attack itself.  Once we were done with the ER ordeal, our thoughts turned to this guy...


Jaxson has been with us (Andrew & I) since Dec of 2002.  He has been a great dog for us, so our next decision was really tough.  Even though he did something terrible, we still couldn't help but feel bad for what was going to happen. We knew there was no way that we could keep him in the house knowing what had happened, especially with the baby on the way.  Andrew made the call to the county to send an officer to pick up Jax on our way home from the ER.  We would have much rather had everything taken care of while we were at the ER, but they needed us there for the paperwork.  We called around 7:30 at night, but they didn't come until 10:30 to take Jax.  So, for three hours Jax sat in the backyard.  We couldn't leave him in the house, not because we were afraid, but because it wouldn't have been right to let him think things were fine.  During that time we said our goodbyes and kept our distance.  Unfortunately for Andrew, he had to actually place Jax in the van, which he wasn't expecting.  That was pretty tough for Andrew to do and for me to watch.

So, the past few days have been a little tough for both Andrew & I and Landon.  Landon had  a pretty rough Saturday.  I think the soreness set in and he was very clingy.  We didn't get many smiles from Landon yesterday.  He is doing much better today and we have a happier little Landon.  As for Andrew & I there have been some things to get used to aorund the house. Jax has been a regular in our lives, and so there are moments when you expect him or think he'll be there.  That will take awhile to get used to.   We know we made the right decision, but that doesn't make this any easier.

We'll miss you Jax!

2 comments:

J & M Nelson said...

I know this is very hard for you guys but you made the right decision as hard as it was! I am so happy to hear Landon is feeling better! Give him a kiss from all of us!! We love you all!

anna and geoffrey said...

I am so sorry about Jax, but mre importantly I'm so glad Landon is alright. I'll be thinking about you guys :)