Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What's in a name?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."


According to Shakespeare, or better yet, Juliet, a name is meaningless. What is most important is what or who something is, not what it is called.

I know this to be true, but there is much thought and effort into naming children. This is the name that your children will carry for the rest of their lives. I have such a hard time with this, not only because it is an arduous process, but because I am a very indecisive person. Andrew & I went to the hospital with two names for Landon, and didn't officially name him until a day after he was born. This time, I would like to have the name picked out, but we may be in the same situation as last.

Not only, is going though names time consuming, but there are some "unofficial" requirements that I think about when picking a name for our children. I'm not sure Andrew has any requirements, but I listen to his name suggestions & if I like the name I see how I can work that name with these criteria. Now, it is very unlikely that all the "criteria" will be met, but I at least like to try. Here are the criteria:


1. I would like the name to have some Family origin (first, middle, or both)

2. I would like the name to have Irish origin (though this is usually the 1st criteria left out)

3. There should be a Saint's Name (or a derivative)

4. Nicknames: If the name can have a nickname, then I have to like the nickname. For example, Nicholas is name I like, but I am not a fan of Nick. I know that it is possible to avoid the child being called Nick, but is very unlikely, so Nicholas is out. Sometimes I like the nickname more than the full name, then I may opt for the nickname only.

Am I crazy??? Or do you have "unofficial" criteria too???? I think we all do, otherwise how do you rule out names and finally decide on the "one."

Here's how Landon's name fits into the criteria:

Landon Thomas

-Family: Thomas is Andrew's middle name

-Irish: not met

-Saint's Name: Thomas fits

-Nickname: there really isn't a nickname, so this was one I didn't have to worry about

So...with the few times that Andrew & I have discussed names, we are pretty much stuck with the same two. There are plenty that Andrew likes and plenty that I like, but there aren't many we like together. The names that we do like, seem to be displaced by the two we keep returning to.  Here are the two that are our top runners right now & how they fit the "requirements".


(This is our most recent sonogram picture, taken yesterday)

Libbie 
(Anne, Rose, Jane for the middle name)

- Family: Libbie is my Grandmother's nickname, Anne 
is my middle name, & Jane is my mother's middle name

-Irish: as far as I can tell, none of the names fit

-Saint's name: Libbie is from Elizabeth & Anne fits

-Nickname: Libbie is a nickname for Elizabeth & since I like Libbie more than Elizabeth, I would rather name her Libbie

Mackenzie
(Anne & Kelley for middle name)

-Family: Anne & Kelley are both mine

-Irish: Mackenzie & Kelley both have Irish origin

-Saint's name: Anne is the only name that fits

-Nickname: Mackenzie has two nicknames, Mack or Kenzie, & I like them both


This is not to say that another name might not sneak in for a surprise win. These two names are just the front runners at this time.  Any suggestions?

2 comments:

J & M Nelson said...

Mackenzie Anne Peck that is my pick! I know everyone will have sometime to say! But I love this name! She will fit perfect in your family!! Love ya Oh yes where are the baby belly picture I have been asking to see?????????????????

Ashley said...

Martina ~ that is exactly what I was going to say. Mackenzie Anne fits all your qualifications and is beautiful!!! Good luck deciding. I can imagine that is a very hard decision!!