Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Kolachy

This time of year is one of my favorites! I love all the traditions my family has, and making Christmas cookies is one of them! Christmas is not complete (for me) without a few things...our stockings (my entire mom's side of the family have the same ones!), cookies, and of course family! Cookie making is a big deal on both sides of my family and I am so happy that I get to bring that tradition to my family now!

Last year, while I was on maternity leave, I headed to MN to visit my dad's side of the family. I was able to participate in their big cookie making festivities! When we travel to Ohio, we also spend time making/decorating Christmas cookies. Since we are going to Jacksonville, I needed to make some cookies to bring. The one cookie that has to be present at Christmas is the Kolachy (co-la-chee). It is a Kelley family tradition, and I thought I would share it with all of you. It's a yummy cream cheese dough with apricot filling! If you have time to make another cookie, or want to change things up this year, give this one a try!

Ingredients:
8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
1 c butter (softened)
2 c flour
Solo Apricot filling
pinch of salt

Directions:
1. mix flour & salt separate
2. mix cream cheese & butter
3. add flour mixture to cream cheese & butter
4. cover & chill for 2-3 hrs
5. Roll out dough and cut into squares (it helps to only roll dough a little at a time, leaving the rest the refrigerator)

6. Place a bit of Apricot filling in the middle of the square. It's up to you how much you want on each square. The less you use, the less messy, and the cookies stay closed. I, personally, like lots of filling!
7. Wrap opposite corners together (like a blanket).
8. Bake at 350 for 8-10 min (or golden).
9. Enjoy!


I promise you, you will not be disappointed! They are delicious. We like to enjoy them for breakfast too!
Some other cookies made by my family:
1. gingerbread men (dad's cookie)
2. m&m cookies
3. Scotch Shortbread
4. pretzel rods
5. raspberry pecan filled almond cookies
6. Spritz
7. Cut-outs
There are so many more, I wish I had time to make them all.

2 comments:

J & M Nelson said...

YUM!! We are really missing all the great cookies we got from you last year! I am going to try that recipe! We will see I am not a good baker! Oh yes I should note Emmalyn asked me if we would make cookies with her like Mrs Kelley did last year in "regnya" AKA Virgina. So the pressure is on now! I will let you know how it goes! Have fun in FL. Martina

Meg said...

Kelley!
Kolachy's are my favorite too! I am usually in charge of making "Mrs. McKean's cookie" every Christmas. My mom usually has to search her recipe box for hours to find the recipe your mom gave her. But this year we can just look on your blog. Thanks! Merry Christmas!
-Meghan