Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Another Great Weekend

It wasn't great because of the weather...that's for sure! It was cold and rainy. I can't wait to have sun and warmth. We did have a great time spending the day together as a family. We decided to head into DC again. We hopped on the metro and visited the Natural History Museum. Andrew and I have been before, but they have added a few new exhibits. Landon loves butterflies and that is one of the exhibits that was added.
While we waited for our turn to head into the butterfly exhibit, we went and toured the Mammal room. Landon wasn't as thrilled with this as I thought. I think since the animals we still, he wasn't as interested.


Once we had enough of the mammals, we headed to the butterfly exhibit. We loved it! You walk into a room filled with butterflies flying all around you. The only downfall is that you have to pay, but it really wasn't all that much.


Landon was a little timid at first, but once he settled into the room, he really had a great time. Here are a few of the butterflies in the room.





The butterfly room isn't all that big, so it doesn't take to long to get through. Plus it's really humid and warm, so Andrew was ready to get out of there! We headed to the ocean room. Landon really enjoyed the real fish moving in the aquarium.


There was another new exhibit that caught my eye, Orchids through Darwin's Eyes. I was really interested in reading the info, but with an 18 mo old, it wasn't that easy. I settled for looking at the beautiful flowers.


On a whim, we decided to see Ford's Theatre, where President Lincoln was shot. We didn't tour, but Andrew wanted to see where it was located. We're still getting used to DC and how once your are in one area, you are close to another. The theatre was just a few block from the Verizon Center, which is in a area we have been quite a bit. This summer I'll have to. go exploring with Landon, especially in August when I'm not allowed to travel. Anyone want to explore with us...your welcome to come, our door is always open!


Across the street from Ford's Theatre, is the Peterson House, where President Lincoln died. You can also tour this house, but we just admired from the sidewalk.





Sunday wasn't so eventful, running errands and such. However, we had a great time together.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

How fun to live so close to so many interesting things! I bet you really enjoy getting to do so many fun things with Landon!

Thanks for your help! I really like your idea!

J & M Nelson said...

How fun I took the kids to the butterfly exhibit before we left I guess it was last spring and it was great!! Emmalyn really enjoyed it but i think Brody slept thought it! Hopefully the kids and I will be there soon to explore with you guys!! Love ya