Friday, July 29, 2011

Leland 2011 Part IV: Sunset Drive

I had never done the sunset drive, but it was something I wanted to do this year. Since the second week we were in Leland had better weather, it made for a great night for the drive. We followed my aunt, uncle, 2 cousins and grandmother since they had been plenty of times before. The drive is in a National Park and you drive through 2 different environments. You begin in a very covered and lush green area that leads out to the sandy dunes. Along the way there are stopping points. We got out at the halfway point and then again at the top where you watch the sunset.

When you arrive at the dunes, this sign greets you. Don't worry, none of us tried heading down the dunes.
My cousin Katy and Landon on top of the dunes.
There is a small area where the kids can climb and run around...Landon loved it.
here are my cousins Katy & Andrea (sisters) and Andrea's children on one of the lookout points.
An attempt at a family photo on the dunes...the kids weren't quite cooperating. I guess that's what you get with a 3 and 1 year old.
As were were walking around we saw deer...
and a porcupine!
Grandma sat and watched the sunset while everyone else ran all over.
This is the end of the sunset that night...it was absolutely gorgeous.
I think we plan on adding this trip every year (as long as weather permits).


No comments: